Thursday 1 April 2010

April 2010: Kayak and Queen month

Kayak and Queen Month

This month I will review all the albums of Kayak and Queen in chronological order. Let me explain my choices. For newer material from the bands, check this post.

Kayak


I chose Kayak because I am a fan of them ever since I first heard their 1981 album Merlin, when I was 13 years old. Since these Dutch prog-rockers are quite underrated and unknown, it encouraged me to get to know more music of them, which is pretty hard since almost all their albums are out of print. I managed to get legal copies of each album of theirs, but it was a tough journey. These are the albums that I will review:

1970 – High Tide Formation – Fluffy [Single]
1973 – See See the Sun
1974 – Kayak II
1975 – Royal Bed Bouncer
1976 – The Last Encore
1977 – Starlight Dancer
1977 – Starlight Dancer [US]
1978 – Phantom of the Night
1980 – Periscope Life
1981 – Merlin
1981 – Eyewitness

Queen


The British rock quartet was the first band that got me hooked, back in my really young days (primary school). Since I didn’t listen to them ever since I really started listening to music, my rediscovery of their music was rather interesting, since I really only truly hear the music now. This was a quite pleasant experience and of course I would like to write about those albums. These are the albums I’ll review:

1973 – Queen I
1974 – Queen II
1974 – Sheer Heart Attack
1975 – A Night at the Opera
1976 – A Day at the Races
1977 – News of the World
1978 – Jazz
1979 – Live Killers
1980 – The Game
1980 – Flash Gordon
1981 – Greatest Hits I
1982 – Hot Space
1984 – The Works
1986 – A Kind of Magic

Hopefully you’ll like the reviews, and if you have something to say about the reviewed albums than don’t hesitate and please do.

The_CrY

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Takes me back to when I was 18 years old (years ago...). Since 1976, Queen has been my all-time favourite band. And since 1977, Kayak has always been the runner up. Keep up the good work! (And please feel free to check my Kayak weblog every now and then!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disagree with your low score on The Works. That's an amazing album. Hey, what about The Miracle, Innuendo and Wembley 86? :-O

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find those over here:
    http://thecryreviews.blogspot.com/2010/05/may-2010-kayak-and-queen-month-ii.html

    ReplyDelete